Menu

St. Mary’s Ontario Apartment Flat Roof Replacement to Fix Leaking

This week we were in St. Mary’s Ontario, where we are going to install a brand new flat roof on this building in the downtown core. This was one of the more challenging projects we have had to complete, just because we were in the downtown area where there isn’t as much space on the ground level, and there were multiple layers to the roof as it was a saw line roof. It had multiple levels, and on top of that we had to traverse other roofs, and carry up all our materials and tools. Definitely was a good workout!

The roof was having a lot of leaks where the two buildings joined, and the roof system was very old in general and needed replacing so that it was easier to control water and ice/snow in the winter time as there were more issues being identified each season, and the building owner had to keep coming up on the roof to keep things maintained.

This roof has a lot of different details to it as well. The roof surface isn’t technically flat even though it is still a flat roof, but it’s got some peaks and valleys, and multiple roof sections to work on. There was metal caps and metal flashing required around multiple walls and siding areas, attic spaces, vent stacks, internal roof drains and skylights.

The roof area is about 1700 sqft. Because of the way the building was situated we wanted to see if there was a way to reduce waste as getting it off the roof safely would be a challenge. After inspecting the roof substrate we saw that the roof was perfectly suitable to roof over. The old flat roof system actually was a modified bitumen system, what is great about these is if the roof is clean and dry, you can go right ahead and install the peel and stick membrane and begin roofing with no compromise in quality of efficiency.

We started by removing the metal, and cleaning the existing mod bit roof and getting every spec of dust and debris off as best we can to make sure the new flat roof system will adhere perfectly then we can build up from there with the cap sheet.

Once the membrane was down we began the task of metal work – this involved wrapping the dog houses, drip edging and other areas before we put the cap sheet down. We didn’t capture as much footage on this project, and you can see why – so many details, so many different angles and surfaces to make sure we properly took care of that we were pretty busy!